French Butter Cakes (Madeleines) RecipeCategory: French Dessert Recipes
1. All purpose flour (1/2c)
2. white sugar (1/3c)
3. salt (1/8tsp)
4. vanilla extract (3/4tsp)
5. eggs (2)
6. granulated sugar (1/3c for decoration)
7. butter (1/4c)
8. lemon jest (1tbsp)
Method of preparation:-
1. First heat the oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C. Take 12 madeleine molds of 3-inch, butter and flour them and keep them aside. Take a pan, melt butter in it and keep it aside.
2. Take a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, salt and vanilla in it at high speed until the mixture becomes light. Slowly add sugar in it and beat it at high speed for 5 to 10 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and pale.
3. Sieve 1/3 of flour into the egg mixture and beat it after each addition. Add melted butter and lemon zest around the edge of the batter. Fastly but slowly add butter into the batter.
4. Then pour the batter into the molds with spoon and mound it slightly above the tops. Place the molds in oven and bake them for about 15 to 18 minutes until the color of cakes changes to golden.
5. Loosen the cakes from the pan with the tip of knife and then invert them on the rack. Dust the granulated sugar over the warm cookies. Now madeleines are ready to serve.
Number of servings – 12