Apple Dumplings RecipeCategory: Fruit Dessert Recipes
1. Sifted brown sugar (1/3 cup)
2. nutmeg (3/4 tsp)
3. allspice (3/4 tsp)
4. cinnamon (3/4 tsp)
5. butter or margarine (3 tbsp)
6. apples, peeled and cored (8 medium)
7. jelly (3 tbsp of apple, etc)
8. fruit juice (3 tbsp of orange, lemon, pineapple, apricot etc)
9. sugar (1 ½ cup)
10. boiling water (1 ½ cup)
11. red food coloring (optional)
12. pastry based on 2 cups of flour
Method of preparation:-
1. Take a bowl; add butter or margarine, brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon in it. Mix all these ingredients and then make the paste of this mixture. Then roll it into 1/8-inch thick and then cut it into 6 to 8 squares.
2. Place an apple in the center of each square, place jelly in cavity and then spread the paste over it. Moisten the ends of each pastry shell and then join the ends over the apples and seal the sides.
3. Take remaining dough, roll it and then cut it into ribbon like strips and place across the tops of dumplings. Now place it in greased baking dish of 11*15-inch.
4. Place the dish in oven and bake it for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Meanwhile make syrup in a pan, add sugar, water and juice and keep it to simmer until the sugar gets dissolved. A little food color may be added to syrup.
5. Then pour the syrup over the apples. Again bake apples for 10 to 20 minutes and to give them good look immediately basting them with syrup. Now it is ready to serve. Serve it warm with cream.
Number of servings – 8