Xerotigana: Honey Dipped Spiral Pastries RecipeCategory: Greek Dessert Recipes
1. Water (1 cup and 2 tbsp)
2. olive oil (2/3 cup)
3. freshly squeezed orange (2/3 cup)
4. all purpose flour (6-8 cups)
5. lemon juice (2/3 cups)
For The Syrup:-
1. cinnamon (1 stick)
2. water (1 cup)
3. honey (1 cup)
4. sugar (1 cup)
For The Topping:-
1. Ground cinnamon (1 tbsp)
2. finely chopped walnuts (1/4 cup)
3. toasted sesame seeds (1/4 cup)
4. olive oil (for frying)
Method Of Preparation:-
1. Take a large bowl, add 6 cups of flour and the rest of the dough ingredients in it. Mix them and then knead for at least 5 minutes to make it smooth. Keep the dough aside for about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile make syrup in a saucepan, add all the ingredients of syrup in it and keep it to boil. Then turn down the heat to low and keep the syrup hot without boiling.
3. Now take dough and divide it into equal parts. Roll out each part of dough with rolling pin into long strips about 5 inch wide and 30 to 36 inch long. Dust flour over the strips to keep them dry. Then cut them into 1-inch wide strips.
4. Circle the long strips of dough around your two fingers, then on three finger and then on four to make loose spiral. Then put the spirals in hot oil. The dough is so thin that it will puffs as it fries and gets uncurl.
5. Place the tine of fork in the center of spiral and turn them. When the spiral gets golden, then drain them on paper towels. Then place the spiral one at a time in steaming hot syrup for about 5 to 6 seconds on each side.
6. Then take out them with slotted spoon on serving platter. Mix cinnamon, sesame seeds and walnuts and then dust over the spirals. Now the spiral pastry is ready to serve.
Makes about 60 large spirals