Apple Crostata RecipeCategory: Italian Dessert Recipes
This dessert is very crunchy enjoy it with ice cream or whipped cream.
1. flour (1 1/4c)
2. butter (4 tbsp)
3. solid vegetable shortening (4tbsp)
4. sugar (1tbsp)
5. salt (1/2tsp)
6. ice water
For crunch topping:-
1. flour (1/3c)
2. brown sugar (1/3c)
3. old fashioned oatmeal (1/4c)
4. melted butter (3tbsp)
1. Flour (1heaping tablespoon)
2. egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon of water (1)
3. apricot preserves (3-4)
4. cinnamon (1/2tsp)
5. sugar (1/4c)
6. apples (3medium)
7. confectioner sugar for dusting
8. salt (a pinch)
Method of preparation:-
1. Take a food processor, mix flour, sugar and salt in it. Pulse shortening and butter in it until the mixture looks like cornmeal. Add enough water to make dough of this mixture.
2. Place it in disk, and wrap it and then keep it in refrigerator for about 30 minutes. By mixing all the ingredients of crunch topping. Keep it aside. Take apples peel them and then thinly sliced them.
3. Take a bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon in it and then add sliced apples in it. Coat them with the mixture. Now heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Roll the dough on the lightly floured surface in circle shape.
4. Spread apricot preserves in the center of the circle leaving the 3 inches border. Now place the apples in layers until all the apples slices are used. Sprinkle the leftover topping and then fold the border of the dough up around the edges of the filling.
5. Take a baking sheet, place paper with crostata on it. Brush the top of the dough with egg yolk mixture. Now place the baking sheet in oven and bake it for 40 minutes. Now take off the sheet from the oven and cover the dough with foil to prevent burning.
6. Again place it in the oven and bake for 15 minutes again. Now place crostata with paper on wire rack to cool. When it gets ready then dust confectioner sugar over it before serving. Serve it with ice cream or with whipped cream.